Friday, August 9, 2013

Leaping into retirement

How does one walk away from a 35-year career?   Not gently or quietly, apparently.

To go long-distance sailing, I first had to leave my job.  I gave myself a few weeks' gap between my last day and departure on my first major trip. Thinking of leisurely, relaxing mornings reading the Post, afternoons biking and strolling around museums, and evenings whipping up my favorite recipes, I turned in my papers in March and grinned all the way to July 31.

Ha.

It's been nonstop since then. Between routine medical care (never had time to catch up while working), cleaning out the house (to get it ready to rent), sorting through all the paraphernalia that somehow found its way from desk #1 (NSF) to desk #2 (home office), setting up my freelance writing business, preparing for a long absence (utilities, tenants, storage, mail, etc), and helping Pope with boat repairs, well...you get the picture!



 
Still smiling, though!  Had a lovely send-off with my favorite, fun colleagues. Photos of my colleagues here.







With Tarri, who lent me loyal friendship and support during my years in NSF's Office of Legislative & Public Affairs:




No comments:

Post a Comment